Friday, August 20, 2010

Farewell to summer

All good things come to an end
It's been a wonderful two months of summer. It is now time to wrap up vacation mode however. Next week I am returning to YWAM to begin work with another training course. I don't know where all the student's are coming from, but I am sure of the calling God has on their lives, so I am excited to be part of it. I will be teaching in the Discipleship Training school and the School of Biblical Studies, both of which focus on raising up young people, giving them skills and tools to help them succeed on the mission field, and sending them out to the nations. I will also be working on developing some courses for Bible study that we can do as mobile classes throughout the middle east.

VCF's youth group in Costa Rica
I had the opportunity to go with my home church's youth group to Costa Rica on their summer missions trip. What a great trip, amazing youth group, wonderful ministry and as for the country, well I don't think I've ever met anyone who complained about Costa Rica :-). Our group worked with youth groups from several other Vineyard east coast, churches, doing projects that ranged from open air ministry to construction, to community service. The most exciting part for me was to see the kids stepping out in faith, and seeing God meet them in unexpected and powerful ways. It was a huge blessing to be there with other groups; as iron sharpens iron, these youth groups really encouraged one another to press into God, and it reflected in our prayer and worship times as well as in our ministry there. I've posted a full photo album on my website's photo album page and a few photos here for you to view.

worship in the grove with the VCF youth group.

quiet time at the cross

Eric and AJ performing "el Champion!"


Indigenous wildlife

frogs of all colors

and the bluest of butterflies

Volcanoes tower over tropical rain forests

Return to my mission field...
Hawaii! That's right, I've tried a lot of places, and there just aren't any others challenging enough! Kidding, but I feel a peace about the Lord leading me back to Kona and, even though it was not the plan, (or so I thought) the biggest current need I can fill is to return there this coming year and lead the School of Biblical Studies. And God is beginning to really stir my faith up for the year ahead. Last year my students went to places like India, Egypt, Japan and China to use their Bible training in teaching and starting new Bible schools. I believe that God wants to see the same and more with this next school... and if it means I have to SUFFER in Hawaii... so be it :-). It's actually a wonderful town (Kona, Hawaii) and a great campus for studying the word, and God is doing amazing things in Kona, as well as sending missionaries out from there.

Prayer for Nations: Costa Rica:

A nation known for it's beautiful scenery, cascading waterfalls and pristine beaches; known for "pura vida" the "pure life," of simplicity, contentment and bliss. As the VCF youth group ministered in Costa Rica we discovered another side of this country, one that includes poverty, superstition and fear. Our mission, as followers of Christ, was to let our lights shine, to pierce the darkness, and let Jesus bring his kingdom through us. Our trip was short, but I believe our prayer mandate over Costa Rica continues on, and I hope you will join us in lifting up the missionaries we worked with there at PVM (Pura Vida Missions,) and to lift up the workers who are dedicating their lives to serving the Lord in this country. Pray that Costa Rica regains it's national identity of "the pure life" with Jesus Christ as the center of that identity. While we were there we saw several people make commitments to the Lord during our ministry times. Pray that the hearts that were touched by our testimonies, skits and dramas, will find Christian communities to strengthen them and help them grow.

No comments: