Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Poetry from Jeremiah


I recently taught the books of Jeremiah and Lamentations, this is a poem I've written to try and capture the timeless message Jeremiah has for the children of God.

Daughter Zion


Awake! Fix your eyes on me, daughter, my love.
Set your path on the statutes that come from above.
For the rain has poured down, behold, everything’s new,
Heaven and earth I made special for you.
When I saw you rejected me by what you’ve done,
I gave you new hope by the birth of my Son.
Miracles can happen as you, daughter, can see,
And all of your blessings come straight from me.
How long will you waver before doing what’s right?
It’s not hard, look to me my love; I’ll be your light.
For behold, I’ve created this new thing on earth,
My own death in a man, your new life at his birth.
Could I stand idly by and watch all I love fall,
Or remember their pain, and in turn, give it all?
And that’s what I did; I fixed all that you broke,
I rent heaven and earth and I lifted your yoke.
Clap your hands, sing aloud or the stones will cry out,
Oh, my heart skips a beat at the sound of your shout.
For I’ve done all these things so you might have a clue,
All I want in this world is to spend time with you.

No comments: